Life can get pretty hectic sometimes, can't it!? And it's so easy to put ourselves last on that all important to-do list. Taking some time out for your own health and well-being is a vitally important, not only for your own health and happiness, but for those that know, love and surround you.
Self-care is not just "one-size-fits-all". Some people love to unwind with a good book, others like to sweat it out on a run. Whether it's yoga, kick-boxing, journaling, cooking or gardening - it's about what works for YOU.
We've put together a list of 21 Self-Care Ideas for the Mind, Body + Soul to get you started on discovering what lights you up.
- Meditate - Just a few minutes of meditation can leave you feeling relaxed, calm and ready to take on the day ahead. There are so many amazing apps available to receive helpful, guided meditations that can aid in relaxation, falling asleep and stress management. Our favourite app is Let's Meditate: Sleep & Guided Meditation and best of all - it's FREE!
- Brain Dump - writing out a list of things you're currently thinking about, worried about or needing to do can really help to decrease stress and gain some clarity. Jotting down your thoughts makes them a lot easier to manage and work-through one at a time.
- Declutter - Tidying up your personal or work space can really help to prevent feelings of overwhelm. Gaining a sense of control in the physical world can also spill over to feeling in control mentally and emotionally too. Plus, you'll work a lot more efficiently when you're not hunting around for the things you need!
- Read or Podcast - We're big fans of personal development. There are so many fantastic resources out there created by brilliant, insightful individuals that you can learn from right now. Jay Shetty's Podcast "On Purpose" is an amazing source of wisdom and inspiration. Jen Sincero's "You are A Badass" is a hilarious, relatable, mind-blowing read and one we can highly recommend.
- Limit your screen time - turning off the phone, tablet and TV for a few hours and spending time in nature, with your friends and family or exercising can do wonders for clearing your mind.
- Sleep Schedule - Getting a solid seven to eight hours of sleep every night can help to restore clarity and improve your memory.
- Adult Colouring Book - Embracing our inner child with a colouring book can be really therapeutic and can reduce anxiety, create focus and bring about more mindfulness.
- Stretch - Increased flexibility, posture and energy are just some of the benefits of giving your muscles a good stretch.
- Prepare nourishing meals - Taking care of your gut is vital for your overall health. Fueling our body with healthy, nourishing foods that you enjoy is the ultimate act of self-care.
- Drink Water - get yourself a beautiful bottle or infuse your water with juicy fresh fruits. Whatever you do, drink more water!
- Put on your favourite beats - It may be Gansta Rap, 90's Pop, Hard Rock or your favourite Chillout mix, whatever gets you moving your body.
- Warm Bath - Running a warm bath with candles and relaxing scents can help to ease your muscles and help you to unwind.
- Grounding - Sit or stand barefoot on grass or sand, or dip your toes into the ocean. Feel the sun on your face. Take in your surroundings.
- Move your body - find 30 minutes to add some movement to your day. Catch a Pilates class, go for a walk or do a few laps in the pool. Getting in a workout will release those endorphins and it'll feel amazing!
- Deep Breathing - Stress reduction, faster recovery from physical exertion and better sleep. Wim Hof is the man!
- Remove negativity - This includes people and situations. Limit your exposure to toxic environments and behaviours and you'll notice the difference in your overall happiness
- Watch a Sunrise or Sunset - Taking in a beautiful scene like a warm sunset or a fresh, uplifting sunrise and do wonders for your soul.
- Start practising Gratitude - Doing a gratitude check everyday helps to keep your mind focused on the good around you. If you regularly look for the 'good stuff', you'll start seeing more of it everyday. Like attracts like. Think of 5 things every morning that you're grateful for in your life.
- Reach out to someone you trust - Having a chat with a close friend or family member can really uplift us and remind us that we're supported.
- Set goals - Having short-term and long-term goals keep us motivated and enthusiastic about life. Write down your goals or make a vision board to keep you excited and on track!
- Visit your favourite place - Whether it's the beach, a museum, an art gallery or a farmer's market. Wherever you feel happy, inspired and alive - go there. Regularly!
These are just some ideas for practising self-care, but the list goes on and on. Let us know in the comments, what are your favourite self-care rituals?
Fallon & Darren