It's a sad day when your favourite sportsbra is in the wash, right? You've got better things to be doing than your laundry, so we've put together a little guide on how to care for your sportsbras (and activewear in general) to keep your gear fresh and ready to move with you asap.
Our top tips are as eco-friendly as possible, but always refer to the individual care instructions of your favourite garments, as they can vary between styles.
- Wash your activewear separately from regular clothes. This will prevent unnecessary wear and tear and increase the longevity of your fav active styles.
- Cold Wash with same colours. Warm or hot water can shrink or affect the elasticity of your garments and separating colours will make sure your crisp white sportsbra stays that way.
- Ideally hand wash your sportsbras (and all activewear) as it's much more gentle on the fabric. If you're in a rush and prefer to use the washing machine, then always use a mesh garment bag. This will prevent pilling of the fabric and also ensures your strappy sportsbras don't get tangled up with other items and stretched, eek!
- Fasten any hooks or zips to prevent snagging with other items during the wash
- Air or line dry your sportsbras in the shade so they don't fade. The heat from tumble dryers can damage the elastic fibres as well as use a heck of a lot of power! By removing pads from your sportsbras, not only will they wash more thoroughly, but they will dry quicker too.
- Say no to fabric softener! It can degrade the sweat wicking properties of technical fabrics by coating the fabric fibres and prevent them from absorbing water (and sweat!)
- Use an eco-friendly, hypoallergenic washing detergent that will keep your garments fresh without the harsh chemicals.
- Wash your sportsbras (and other activewear pieces) inside out. This will help to keep their colours vibrant for longer.
Any tips you'd like to add? Let us know in the comments below.
Fallon & Darren